LINCOLNVILLE – On the evening of Thursday, October 25 a house fire was reported in Lincolnville. The Tracadie and District Volunteer Fire Department answered the call and arrived at the home of Wilfred "Wolf" and Ardella Desmond. The home was seriously damaged but all occupants of the residence escaped without harm.
The fire left the shell of the building intact but Sheila Pelly, a neighbour and the municipal councillor for the area, told The Journal on Tuesday that the structure was not salvageable. “Peter Avery, the building inspector, looked at it yesterday...they can't fix it; it has to be torn down.”
Since news of the fire broke on Friday, community members have expressed a desire to help the family in this time of need. There is currently a Go Fund Me page set up to help defray the cost of the fire but much more will be needed in the months ahead.
Pelly said she expected more fundraising efforts would arise in the coming weeks.
The Desmond family is well-known in the community, Wilfred Desmond is a retired school bus driver who served area families for decades.