PORT HAWKESBURY – It's been an arduous process but the dispute over the proper dispensation of the $1.2 million Chase the Ace jackpot won in Margaree last July was resolved during a judicial settlement conference held on Monday, September 17 at the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia in Port Hawkesbury.
A statement released Tuesday to The Journal from the office of Reddick's lawyer declared, “The parties are pleased to announce they have reached a resolution - the terms being that of the $611,319.50 at issue, Mr. McInnis will receive $350,000 and Ms. Reddick will receive $261,319.50. They are both satisfied with the terms of the settlement. It was reached mutually in order to avoid further court proceedings and to bring this matter to a final conclusion.
“Both parties are looking forward to putting this matter behind them, and no further media statements will be made.”
The family drama between jackpot winners Barbara Reddick (aunt) and Tyrone McInnis (nephew) began when they arrived in Margaree to claim the $1.2 million Chase the Ace jackpot on July 11 of this year.
While both names were clearly written on the winning ticket, it was Reddick's money that had paid for the ticket. Reddick maintained that she never intended to split any winnings with her nephew, who had travelled to Margaree to purchase the tickets with her money.
On the day of the cheque presentation, Reddick announced she would take the matter to court which she proceeded to do the following week represented by Adam Rodgers of the law firm Boudrot Rogers with offices in Port Hawkesbury.
In July Rodgers told The Journal that the case could take as much as six months to a year to resolve if it went through the trial process. Last month Rodgers said that he was hopeful the issue could be resolved during the settlement conference with the judge and noted the case was causing a great deal of stress in his client's life.
McInnis, a university student at Cape Breton University, has never spoken to the media about the case.